Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Steve Jobs

Took a screenshot just now... the news today that Steve Jobs has passed away is hitting me like a brick. I'm not surprised, I guess, but sad nonetheless. Apple computers, software, and stuff have accompanied my entire teaching practice, and Jobs has influenced my approach to teaching and use of media, and wedged his way into my family in some ways. Elegance, function, aesthetics, and intuitiveness are very important to me... I'm a Mac. I suppose he is famous because of his business success and ability to read trends -- he was really good at making and selling things that people wanted to buy (even if we didn't know we needed it!) -- but more than that he had a way of pursuing high design and performance standards, often when those around him were not, or didn't understand what he was doing. That's the part I've tried to emulate.

No comments: